Posted to uk.d-i-y
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default Remote temperature sensors - multiple sensors?

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 19:50:49 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 05/03/13 17:31, Stephen H wrote:
On 05/03/2013 21:51, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 19:27:01 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I use dallas 1-wire digital thermometers around the house. These are
not wireless, and require a twisted pair to link them all, or 3
conductors, depending if they are driven in 1-wire mode, or with a
separate supply line.

Any outdoor ones? When I briefly looked at this a couple of years ago,
IIRC the Dallas parts were suited toward only part of the potential
temperature range, so I was going to have to double up all the sensors
(one p/n for colder temps and another for hotter) and read the 'best'
one based on the time of year. I can't remember if they outright died
beyond their limits, or if it was just that they were only accurate
over part of the range.

cheers

Jules

if you happen to have every room wired up with lots of ethernet cat5
ports/sockets, you can get modules that do environmental monitoring of
server rooms and report back the temperature and humidity to a central
monitoring PC.

Googling for temperature ethernet sensor yields:

http://www.proges.com/en/plug-and-tr...s-on-ethernet/

ethernet-temperature-sensors.html

http://www.audon.co.uk/ethernet_sensors/tme.html

http://www.hw-group.com/products/HWg-STE/

STE_ip_temperature_sensor_en.html

if you're really lucky to have PoE on your network, you may be even
luckier still to find temperature to ethernet modules that take power
from PoE which simplifies installation and setup considerably.

The audon one looks handy.

Id like that here.. to remind SWMBO to bring the hose in - especially
the nozzle thing - when it goes below freezing. That's one a year she's
broken.

By the way considering the OP was after shed monitoring, its worth
pointing out that you can trail a 100m* of CAT5 and a LV power cable
from a wall wart down under the garden easily enough inside a bit of e.g
hose or the like.

I have to say that I am more and more finding all foirms of RF doint
play nice with this house. Distances are too large and tehres to much
metal in it.

Gimme cat 5 any time.

*The length limits on CAT5 are not an issue with a SWITCH as opposed to
a HUB, because there are no collision possibilities down a single piece
of duplex cable. 10Mbps is easily achievable over that sort of length.

Don't recall saying it was for TMOAS - although that might be a
possibility.

Also, I do have a partially implemented CAT5E cabling scheme to the shed
and I also have mains power, water, and drainage.

At the moment I have an indoor and an outdoor (in the shade at the end of
the garage) temperature monitor from Tchibo which works very well but I
now want to monitor a couple of other places as well outside and two or
three places inside (but not all the time).

It looks as though a 3 sensor package from Oregon might do most of what I
want (apart from PC connection).

I think that the Oregon kit goes up to 8 channels in some cases, but
starts to get expensive.

Now rapidly expanding my required reading as I Google more stuff.

Cheers

Dave R