Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Renovating gang switches

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Confronted with a huge Rotel amp from mid 1970s.
Function switch, interlinked S/R ganged switch, 5 gang, each of 4 pole 2
way
with pins extending above and below and a pcb above and below . One failed
switch contact. I'm surprised I've never had to break into one before,
serious miultiway radio waveband switches , yes, but they are not ganged.
This make of logo TMS in an elipse, hopefully applicable to other makes of
ganged switches.
How to get inside without desoldering all that lot.
U channel steel between the 5 gangs has 4 nibs , bent over, to trap each
gang , bend back those 4 and the next 4 along the gang strip to give some
lee-way. Small blade between that channel and the sw body to lever and
give
enough gap to release the S/R interlink that runs inside the U channel ,
and
in this one release a nylon limit widget , from under the spring and then
the core of the gang simply slides out. In this case aged/compacted grease
had wedged the phosphor-bronze contact away from ever making contact

Dem gang swichez is sick innit