Posted to uk.d-i-y
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default Remote temperature sensors - multiple sensors?

On Wed, 06 Mar 2013 00:56:13 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 05/03/13 21:51, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 19:27:01 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
I use dallas 1-wire digital thermometers around the house. These are
not wireless, and require a twisted pair to link them all, or 3
conductors, depending if they are driven in 1-wire mode, or with a
separate supply line.

Any outdoor ones? When I briefly looked at this a couple of years ago,
IIRC the Dallas parts were suited toward only part of the potential
temperature range, so I was going to have to double up all the sensors
(one p/n for colder temps and another for hotter) and read the 'best'
one based on the time of year. I can't remember if they outright died
beyond their limits, or if it was just that they were only accurate
over part of the range.

cheers

Jules

I've got a brilliant remote temperature sensor. Its called RAF
Lakenheath & it tells me how cold it is outside via a widget on the
computer :-)

Won't, for example, measure the input and output temperature of the air
going through my experimental heat transfer system.

Or the difference inside and outside the canopy over the veranda.

Various product write ups suggest that there may be a maximum of three
wireless channels available at 433MHz - unless the industry standard
chipset only supports 3.

If I was using wired sensors, I should have installed the wires during
refurbishment as chopping in new wires now is not going to be popular.

Strange that there isn't a budget USB base station with (e.g.) 3 remote
temperature sensors as you can buy the stand alone setup from Oregon
Scientific for around £40.
http://uk.oregonscientific.com/cat-W...d-Offers-prod-
Elements-Weather-Station-plus-2-extra-sensors.html#.UTb6EtaeN8E
http://tinyurl.com/bm7wpzk

Cheers

Dave R