Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_16_] Doug[_16_] is offline

Default water leaking refrig and future maintenance

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 16:21:34 -0600, Doug
wrote:

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 16:55:01 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
. ..

Because I failed to clean the back end of the refrig regularly like I
used to and it was leaking some water, . . .
I saw the repairman remove from behind the refrig (GE side by side), a
heavy plastic tube which he cleaned out (I assume this connected to a
drain hole inside the bottom of the freezer) while the 2nd repairman
used a C02 cartridge gun to blow thru this drain hole to help unclog

If you wish to service this yourself, you must find a manual or
else figure out whence that particular leak came. Modern "frost-free"
fridges usually have a ventilator tube to lead moisture from the
freezer compartment to the drain basin at the base of the
appliance. A bone dry is often an indicator that the ventilator
tube is plugged by ice:
1. Briefly cured by defrosting all, so that the ice in the tube
melts and falls down into the drain basin.
2. But the problem will then probably recur, unless you look
closer at how your particular fridge works, and manage it
appropriately.

You're right about looking for the manual. Whether it tells me or
not, can't say without looking at it. And yes, this is a frost free
model. I don't blame the refrig because it's my fault for being
lazy... I know better. Thanks.

Found the manual. Doesn't go into a lot of detail but does say to
put a little baking soda and hot water down the drain hole once a
year. I guess that's easier than fixing it and cheaper too.