Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default THANKS ALL

HeyBub wrote:
Two weeks ago my little S10 pickup was struck, while parked, by a
U-Haul truck. My pickup is 15 years old, but only has 98,000 miles on
the clock (I don't get out much). U-Haul referred me to their
insurance carrier and, after proof of ownership and a witness list
changed hands, they promised to send over an adjuster today between
1:00 and 4:00.
It's 8:00pm and he's still not here.

Anyway, I figure it will cost about $900 to fix the truck, but for
that amount I'll bet the insurance company will total the thing and
offer me five hundred bucks to just go away.

Frankly, the truck is worth MUCH more than that to me.

So I compute my best plan of action is to decline U-Haul's offer,
whatever piddly amount it turns out to be, and march against them in
small claims court. Counting the damage, replacement vehicle rental,
and loss of consortium, I should file for about, oh, $3000. I further
estimate that U-Haul will likewise compute that it would cost them
more to defend the suit than to just cut me a checky-poo for the
three grand.
Your experiences along these lines, observations, and advice would be
much appreciated.

I have learned much from the comments you folks have offered. It's said to a
man with a hammer, every solution involves a nail.

I can see where I wanted to rush off to court (having done so countless
times) when there are other, perhaps better, tactics to employ.

Once again, thanks to all who earnestly tried to help; it was much
appreciated.