Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default I'm fixing a hole...

On 3/4/2013 8:18 PM, RonB wrote:
I made a similar goof a few weeks ago on a cabinet door and repaired it with a plug. When I say "plug" I do not mean dowel. As woodchucker said, get a tapered plugcutter and enlarge your hole to accept a plug from the smallest plugcutter you can get. Cut the plug from a piece of stock that closely matches your frame. When you insert the glued plug into the hole take your time to align the grain in the plug with the host grain. Use a plug or dowel saw to trim the plug flush and sand. If you haven't used a plug cutter before you might want to practice, but with a little practice and luck you can get a repair that is nearly invisible.

Basically, that is a "Dutchman".

With problems of this type: Simple first, always ...

IME, the best thing to do is FIRST make the simple to effect fix ... one
that causes the least further damage to the area, so that if it is not
satisfactory, you have not made matters worse by your first attempt.

In this case, the judicious use of a wood filler due to the small size
(1/8") of the hole, would be something to try FIRST.

If that turns out to not be satisfactory, and by not having done any
further damage with the first attempt, there is plenty of opportunity to
step up to a plug type "Dutchman".

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net