Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Insurance qustion

On Mar 4, 6:15*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Two weeks ago my little S10 pickup was struck, while parked, by a U-Haul
truck. My pickup is 15 years old, but only has 98,000 miles on the clock (I
don't get out much). U-Haul referred me to their insurance carrier and,
after proof of ownership and a witness list changed hands, they promised to
send over an adjuster today between 1:00 and 4:00.

It's 8:00pm and he's still not here.

Anyway, I figure it will cost about $900 to fix the truck, but for that
amount I'll bet the insurance company will total the thing and offer me five
hundred bucks to just go away.

Frankly, the truck is worth MUCH more than that to me.

So I compute my best plan of action is to decline U-Haul's offer, whatever
piddly amount it turns out to be, and march against them in small claims
court. Counting the damage, replacement vehicle rental, and loss of
consortium, I should file for about, oh, $3000. I further estimate that
U-Haul will likewise compute that it would cost them more to defend the suit
than to just cut me a checky-poo for the three grand.

Your experiences along these lines, observations, and advice would be much
appreciated.

HB-

You will the opportunity to influence the decision to total your
truck.

I've been through (vicariously) the "total" process a few times.
BIL is an insurance agent... to many stories to tell
But here is a website that provides information that correlates well
with my knowledge.
If gives good info plus some negotiating tactics.

http://www.edmunds.com/auto-insurance/a-total-loss.html

They even have a "value appraisal" calculator.

My guess if you're correct on the repair estimate & the repairs can be
done quickly ..you'll be getting a check.

If they try to add rental car costs to the repair costs.... tell them
you're gonna need a rental car too while you shop around for you car,
new or used.

If they think you'll be good at standing up for yourself...they'll
toss a bit more your way.

cheers
Bob