Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default I'm fixing a hole...

On Monday, March 4, 2013 6:50:54 PM UTC-6, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/4/2013 2:03 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

With apologies to the Beatles, there's no rain getting in, but there is

definitely some "mind wandering" involved.

In short, I made a mistake last night that has left a maybe 1/8" hole in

the side edge of a maple face frame. Two actually. I measured once, at

night, at the end of a day filled with family obligations, so an error

was to be expected, I guess.

Anyway, how do I fill it? The face frame is as yet unfinished, and won't

be stained. Is it as simple as a light-colored wood putty? Or is there a

cleverer approach? If sawdust from the same stock is required, I have a

more than adequate supply.

I saw the other suggestions.

Mine would be to enlarge the hole to 1/4 or 3/8

Then make a plug to fit the hole. I have a set of tapered plug cutters

Choose your plug wood from a relatively close grain pattern, and

install, flush cut and plane. If you do it right it will barely be

noticeable , or not at all.

--

I'm with woodchucker.

I made a similar goof a few weeks ago on a cabinet door and repaired it with a plug. When I say "plug" I do not mean dowel. As woodchucker said, get a tapered plugcutter and enlarge your hole to accept a plug from the smallest plugcutter you can get. Cut the plug from a piece of stock that closely matches your frame. When you insert the glued plug into the hole take your time to align the grain in the plug with the host grain. Use a plug or dowel saw to trim the plug flush and sand. If you haven't used a plug cutter before you might want to practice, but with a little practice and luck you can get a repair that is nearly invisible.

RonB
Jeff