Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What size wiring for Central A/C compressor?

On Mar 4, 3:15*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 12:50:54 -0600, The Daring Dufas

wrote:
How often do you deal with electrical and mechanical inspection
services? I've done electrical and HVAC work for a living and I
base my assertions on practical experience where I've worked. It
may be different where you did your electrical and HVAC work for
a living. Perhaps the authorities interpret the NEC differently
where you have done your professional electrical and HVAC work?

TDD

I have been a certified, state licensed electrical inspector for about
20 years.

Florida and we follow the NEC state wide, unaltered, except for
requiring bonding of steel studs.

I said before, this is a common question on the inspector tests and if
you say 8ga on a 40a breaker for a motor circuit like this, you got
that one wrong.
Maybe your inspectors are not certified and it is just the mayor's
nephew who learned his trade from the Time Life electrical wiring for
dummies book.

It's also possible that he's basing his experience on what's required
by what he's used and had passed. Of course if you use
8 gauge where a minimum of 12 gauge or 10 gauge is required, it
passes because it meets code. And the inspector isn't likely to
say,
BTW did you know that 12 was sufficient? So, he goes on
thinking that 8 gauge is what is required for it to pass.

Obviously there hasn't been any discussion with an inspector
about the issue, otherwise he'd be able to give us the code
section that the position is based on. He refuses to recognize
that the code treats breaker requirements for general purpose
branch circuits differently than it does for motors, AC eqpt, etc.