Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default mold forms on cords, knobs, and tool handles

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 15:52:11 +0000 (UTC), Al Schmidt
wrote:

I think it's a rare combination of both intelligence, wit, and
inquisitiveness, plus the rarest of all desire to help others
to answer the question, that makes you so valuable for us.

Thanks. Hopefully that balances my previous screwups, errors, and bad
logic. It's impossible to write as much as I do, and not get
something wrong occasionally.

Lastly, some get downright acidic when they are confronted
with alternative information. They're the worst, of course,
because they're a cancer on the discussion.

That doesn't bother me much. I'm used to it. What bothers me are
one-line postings, that offer little thought and less information.
Unfortunately, many web forum pages have so many navigation aids and
so much advertising on their pages, that long and detailed replies
seem to be discouraged. The resultant one-liners are of little value.

To get a decent answer on usenet, one needs to provide:
1. What problem are you trying to solve or what are you
trying to accomplish? (Keep it simple)
2. What do you have to work with? (Make, model, version, etc)
3. What have you done so far and what happened?
4. Where are you stuck?
It is possible to get answers without all the aforementioned
information, but it is much more difficult and tends to attract vague
guesswork type answers. Besides, my crystal ball is being repaired by
my wizard, so I can't temporarily guess what someone is asking.

Anyway, I, for one, greatly appreciate your efforts at figuring
this out. To my knowledge, it has never been figured out before
definitively (although I see a post that says it was discussed
in a.h.r but the poster didn't provide any URLs so we have to
look it up to see what the result was and the proof supplied).

Thanks again. I did the usual Google searching for prior research
into the nature of the plastic "mold" and found little besides bad
guesses and vague assertions. I found plenty of complaints, but no
analysis. That's why I decided that it was time to dig in and analyze
the stuff. The convenient discovery of my drawer full of "moldy" nut
drivers also inspired the investigation.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D