Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default mold forms on cords, knobs, and tool handles

On Mon, 04 Mar 2013 11:31:47 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/alt.home.repair/screw$20driver$20handle/alt.home.repair/6F2DSkPIgM0/qe7WX3mCR7IJ
http://tinyurl.com/bwwkvgr

That was a discussion over the Xcelite and Craftsman nutdrivers that
stink. There is nothing in that thread that I can find that even
mentions "mold" on the plastic handles. Please try to stay on topic.

There is also some wrong information in the thread.
1. It's not the plastic handles that stinks. It's the caesin (milk
based) plastic cases that reek. I have several of these and can
confirm that the drivers are fine and the cases are the source of the
smell.
2. The handles are made from acrylic and not vinyl as claimed. Vinyl
is quite flexible and very different from the hard acrylic. Hoewever,
I have NOT been able to definitively identify the type of plastic used
in my Vaco and Craftsman screwdrivers. My guess is acrylic, but I'm
not 100.0% sure. Maybe a burn test:
http://www.boedeker.com/burntest.htm

--
Jeff Liebermann