Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default mold forms on cords, knobs, and tool handles

Al Schmidt writes:

Jeff Liebermann wrote on Sun, 03 Mar 2013 10:03:27 -0800:

Thanks again. I'll spare you my lecture on the topic. The simple
version is from Sherlock Holmes, where Watson "sees" but does not
"observe". Plastic rot is similar in that we "see" mold, but few have
the time, abilities, and equipment to test if it's really mold.

... last post sent too soon by accident ... trying again ...

Hi Jeff,
I think it's a rare combination of both intelligence, wit, and
inquisitiveness, plus the rarest of all desire to help others
to answer the question, that makes you so valuable for us.

A few on alt.home.repair have that quality - but not very many
(probably a half dozen, e.g., Oren, Jim Elbrecht, SMS,
Trader4, Ed Pawlowski, & DerbyDad03, krw, etc.).

Plus, very few take the time and energy to post a photograph,
which, in my humble opinion, is just plain old COMMON COURTESY
when asking a question.

Some, but not all, make statements that aren't backed up
by URLs (when they should be).

And, most just drop off, without also writing up a SUMMARY
of lessons learned. Some do, but very few.

Lastly, some get downright acidic when they are confronted
with alternative information. They're the worst, of course,
because they're a cancer on the discussion.

Anyway, I, for one, greatly appreciate your efforts at figuring
this out. To my knowledge, it has never been figured out before
definitively (although I see a post that says it was discussed
in a.h.r but the poster didn't provide any URLs so we have to
look it up to see what the result was and the proof supplied).

Here you go:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/alt.home.repair/screw$20driver$20handle/alt.home.repair/6F2DSkPIgM0/qe7WX3mCR7IJ

http://tinyurl.com/bwwkvgr

--