Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+ Tim+ is offline

Default Will a Cast Downpipe into a Plastic Downpipe

Bob Minchin wrote:
BT Newsgroup wrote:
Hi

I would like to replace a cast gutter downpipe with plastic to fit water
butt and diverter, the cast looks slightly smaller to my untrained eye
and I wondered if I could just cut the cast downpipe and slot it inside
the plastic rather than replace everything. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

Hodge

Replace the untrained eye with a trained measuring device!
No guarantee that it will/wont fit without checking
Years ago I purchased a plastic heat shrinkable adaptor to make a ****
proof joint between a new plastic pipe onto an existing CI pipe.

Before you do though, bear in mind that most diverters get clogged really
easily with leaves and moss. It's probably better to just empty the full
flow from the gutter down pipe into the butt and fit a large bore overflow
from the butt.

Tim