Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels[_3_] Lee Michaels[_3_] is offline

Default Ping Brian at garage woodworks

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message
On 3/3/2013 2:18 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" wrote

The safety issue is number one priority for changing saws. In my case I
think the pro would be a lateral move in quality. Having said that I
would
probably pull the trigger in a heart beat if the out feed was not an
issue.

Is there any way you could modify either the rollers or the dust port?
I know, it would be a pain in the ass. But the Sawstop is a fine saw.
And if you could figure something out, it would be nice.

Have you discussed this with Sawstop headquarters? They may have a work
around. They may have some ideas on the dust port issue too.

I tried to look inside the saw to see if there would be any interference
if the dust port was relocated. I am not sure how familiar you with the
saw but the inside of the saw has a dust hose like a dryer vent hose that
leads up to the blade area. The inside of the saw is as black and dark as
the outside so it is difficult to actually see much. Also the trunion is
more European in flavor rather than a copy of the older Unisaw set that
every one was copying so it was difficult to tell if the hose would be
crushed if relocated.

I do plan to e-mail them a message addressing this and as more of a
request for assistance to solve the situation. Their efforts would
probably would not be a waste of their time

I have thought about modifying the out feed but this would take
considerable effort and re-fabrication. I would rather not try to fix
what ain't broke.

It may still be possible to create a solution without "considerable effort
and re-fabrication". I saw a show on a shop that was built. It was quite
large, but they needed to move out of it in a year or so. So they did not
want to build anything in that could not be easily moved. So they did a
number of things that may work here. My memory is a little hazy at this
time, but I will try to recall some of the things they did that would be
applicable to your situation.

1) They did not want to install a dust control system. So they got a
number of smaller DC systems and moved them around with quick connect type
of connections. It worked well for everything except the planer. They had
to empty them a lot on the planer.

2) They had both out feed tables and the flip up rollers. The interesting
thing they did was to make these portable as well. They put them on casters
and rolled them around to various machines. All machines were made the same
height with platforms.

One of them was a short platform (about a foot long) with the rollers
mounted to it. And they could roll it up to a saw or whatever and fasten
it. They could then flip up the rollers. I have no idea what fasteners
they used, but it just "clicked" together. When they were done, they
dropped the rollers and unhooked the whole thing from the say. Then they
rolled it away. I even had some shelves built into it. All mounted on some
substantial casters.

Again, I have no idea if any of this could apply to your situation. But I
thought I would pass it on any how. Good luck with your search. It would
be a shame to deny yourself a new tool because it could not accommodate your
present flip up rollers.

Another idea, does anybody make rollers for the Sawstop?

Or has anybody else made something that would work? Like a fold down table?
Or perhaps you could build a small cabinet, book shell, whatever onto the
saw. And attach the rollers to that. In fact I have seen fold down tables
like that attached to a table saw. That would probably be enough to clear
any kind of dust control attachment. The only thing that would affect the
saw is attaching the short cabinet to it. You ma end up giving up a foot of
space, but would end up with a shiny new toy!

Remember, he who dies with the most toys wins!!

Anyhow, I am brainstorming here. The basic concept here is to get creative
and attach the rollers to something else. Leave the saw alone. Make
something out of plywood. Make it simple and strong. Paint or finish it.
Attach the rollers. Attach it to the saw. If I was in love with my flip up
rollers and wanted a Sawstop, that is what I would do.

Need to go. The missus suddenly developed an intense desire to rearrange
the furniture.