Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Ping Brian at garage woodworks

On 3/3/2013 2:18 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

"Leon" wrote

The safety issue is number one priority for changing saws. In my case I
think the pro would be a lateral move in quality. Having said that I
would
probably pull the trigger in a heart beat if the out feed was not an
issue.

Is there any way you could modify either the rollers or the dust port?
I know, it would be a pain in the ass. But the Sawstop is a fine saw.
And if you could figure something out, it would be nice.

Have you discussed this with Sawstop headquarters? They may have a work
around. They may have some ideas on the dust port issue too.

I tried to look inside the saw to see if there would be any interference
if the dust port was relocated. I am not sure how familiar you with the
saw but the inside of the saw has a dust hose like a dryer vent hose
that leads up to the blade area. The inside of the saw is as black and
dark as the outside so it is difficult to actually see much. Also the
trunion is more European in flavor rather than a copy of the older
Unisaw set that every one was copying so it was difficult to tell if the
hose would be crushed if relocated.

I do plan to e-mail them a message addressing this and as more of a
request for assistance to solve the situation. Their efforts would
probably would not be a waste of their time

I have thought about modifying the out feed but this would take
considerable effort and re-fabrication. I would rather not try to fix
what ain't broke.