Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.com is offline

Default Thaddeus

In my last post about cirular saws, I mentioned a building
crew I worked with in the 70's.
One of the guys was Thaddeus, a rather large, powerful man
that drove sixteen penny sinkers with brutal effieciency.
He framed with a 24oz ripping claw hammer, methodically driving nails
in two licks, starter lick would sink it a little over a third of the way
and the next lick contersunk the head.
Thaddeus was a deaf/mute, and one of the most expressive people I have
ever known, all it took was a glance at him to know what he thought of the
status of your work.
There was no "good enough", either it was right or not, if not out came
the big ripping claw hammer, demolishsion ensued and you got to do it
again.
The stud walls in these houses would be covered with drawings,
instructions, lunch orders, weather forecast, women trouble,
sermons to young and ignorant(me), current events.
I have wondered more than once what a story those walls will tell
when these house are torn down.
Thaddeus is long since gone on to his maker, but he left a lot of himself
behind.
Good memories.
basilisk

The only thing I left behind in the walls were beer cans. Of course,
these were after the day's work was done.

God speed to Thaddeus. Thanks for the tribute, basil.
Everyone else - please don't leave your message to the future
as a beer can in the wall ! Yuk.
...here's a James Keelaghan song about leaving
A Message To The Future ..

http://www.top100sradio.com/song/Mes...bum_id=4925764

Another - about sawdust apparently.. or grain ? or life lessons ..
.. or something. enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZcRW5MnUmU

John T.