Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_7_] Gunner[_7_] is offline

Default Rigid Conduit vs Regular Iron pipe

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 15:11:02 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 19:31:04 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 3/1/2013 6:40 PM, wrote:
On Mar 1, 4:11 pm, wrote:
Can any one tell me what the difference between _rigid_ conduit and iron
pipe? ... [emphasis added]

You can bend conduit with an inexpensive tool. Conduit is much
lighter and cheaper than pipe.

I've never seen rigid bent, only light & intermediate. Rigid is heavy &
threaded. It uses preformed sweeps & boxes to make turns. AFAIK

Bob

Only if you dont have a pipe bender for rigid. I have several
differnet types of hand benders for rigid.

Rigid is fun to bend. You definately need more thean a three foot
handle on the bender. Have you ever used rigid aluminum conduit?

Ive heard of aluminum conduit..but give its properties...Id stay way
way away from it.

I did help install a hydrogen furnace (50 feet long) using stainless
steel 1" pipe some years ago though. Some really odd pipe dope in
that project.

Gunner

1. Lie