Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

Default E15 is EVIL!

On Friday, February 1, 2013 9:45:28 PM UTC-7, NotMe wrote:
"Roy" wrote in message

On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:50:47 PM UTC-7, HeyBub wrote:

From an American Petroleum Institute report:

"The additional E15 testing, completed this month, has identified an

elevated incidence of fuel pump failures, fuel system component swelling,

and impairment of fuel measurement systems in some of the vehicles

tested.

E15 could cause erratic and misleading fuel gauge readings or cause

faulty

check engine light illuminations. It also could cause critical components

break and stop fuel flow to the engine. Failure of these components could

result in breakdowns that leave consumers stranded on busy roads and

highways. Fuel system component problems did not develop in the CRC tests

when either E10 or E0 was used. It is difficult to precisely calculate

how

many vehicles E15 could harm. That depends on how widely it is used and

other factors. But, given the kinds of vehicles tested, it is safe to say

that millions could be impacted."

http://washingtonexaminer.com/study-...rticle/2520078

How nice of the "American Petroleum Institute" to do his study. I'm sure

they are neutral in their conclusions.

I'm a retired engineer (EE not petroleum) and was licensed to work on

aircraft engines. The problem is not so much E15 but that the auto industry

has not elected to build engines that can run on E15. FWIW during WWII my

grandfather modified his vehicles to run on a number of 'non-standard fuels'

in part due to rationing but more as a function of cost.

I've looked at the data and the API is right on regardless of what their

world view might be.

FWIW the current fuel systems can be modified but at considerable expense.

My Dodge van is engineered to burn E85 fuel but there is NONE available.