Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Fix for fridge shelves falling.

" wrote:
On Mar 2, 10:17 am, John wrote:
In case this helps someone else:

We have an older (about 1997) Sears side by side fridge (with water and
crushed/whole ice in the door) that still works well. But the fridge
side door had warped over time (widened) and the shelves tended to fall
out. No fun cleaning up after a couple of jars bang against each other
and break spilling God knows what over everything.

The door has a row of studs (14 per side) molded in place that support
the shelves. These measure .395" in diameter and are about 7/16" long.
The shelves hook over the studs and rest against the back of the door.

To fix the problem I could have hunted up a replacement part but given
the age not worth bothering with and probably would have cost big bucks
even if I were able to locate something.

So to fix the problem I bought a three foot length of clear 3/8" x 9/16"
plastic tubing (seems like vinyl but not sure) and cut 1/2" lengths
which fit perfectly over the studs thus making them 1/16" longer per
side. The tubing is actually 10mm I.D. (.393") x 13 mm (.512") o.d. not
the nominal 3/8 (.375") advertised. The tubing was only a couple of
bucks plus tax. Actually less than two foot was plenty but if needed I
have some left over if it cracks or the door grows a bit more over time.

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together!

Thanks for listening to my gloat

John

The shelves are on the door or the main body of the fridge? How can
the door widen, did the plastic and metal expand? If the door widened,
how come it does not hot the freezer side door? What about the door
gasket contacting the main body? Any photos of the "after"? Sounds
like you came up with a good solution, just not clear on the problem.

I don't think the door widened, I think the shelves are getting old and
don't like the cold anymore. As I age, I find myself huddling down under a
blanket at the same thermostat setting that used to be OK for a t-shirt.

I think the old shelves are just scrunching themselves up a little bit to
try and keep warm.