RichardS

Default Japanese rip saw technique

"Hoyt Weathers" wrote in message
RichardS wrote:

"Hoyt Weathers" wrote in message
Mitch Berkson wrote:

Hoyt Weathers wrote:

Have you ever tried turning the board over, mark it, and then cut

it?
Or am I missing something?

Presumably sawdust covers the line if it is on top since the saw

cuts on
the
pull stroke.

Mitch Berkson

The simple solution to that is just intermittently blow away the dust

and
keep on
sawing. I do that all the time on most cuts with a Jap pull saw. It

doesn't take a
rocket scientist to cut a board with a pull saw.

true. I am specifically talking about the technique for ripping a

board
here, and my puzzlement as to why I appear to be experiencing such
difficulty.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

A light bulb just turned on. Perchance, are you sitting in the Japanese

position
BELOW the board when you try to cut it? [ I would never do that because

saw dust
would get all over me. ] If so, why isn't the cut line also facing you on

that side
of the board? If it is, then what is the problem in following the cut

line?

No, I was trying to work from above the board, but then this might be the
beginning of my error in trying to use a japanese traditional tool in a
western manner. Hopefully my other post might explain the progression of
my experimentation a little more clearly..

If the cut line is on TOP of the board and you are sawing from BELOW the

board, then
I agree with you that the cut could be off the marked cut line.

Cut line is wherever I can see it! :-)

Then my question becomes: Is there a particular reason why you wish to cut

that way?
To each his own I suppose.

Perhaps I am still not getting your point.

hopefully the other post I've just sent might explain a little more clearly.

thanks for your patience so far, btw!