Mike G

Default 2nd floor woodshop - Opinions, thoughts ?

If the garage is big enough to accommodate your shop and her car it should
be big enough to share her car, wood storage, and a final glue
up/assembly/finishing area and, with the use of KD benches, maybe even your
car when you aren't actively gluing up and finishing.

Not ideal but then again it will give you even more room in the second floor
shop for a few more goodies not to mention a relatively dust free finishing
area that doesn't require you to stop work in the shop itself.

--
Mike G.

Heirloom Woods
www.heirloom-woods.net
"Folklore" wrote in message
For 10 years I fairly succesfully shared a 2 car garage with 1 car
(SWMBO's) and for a couple of years even parked mine in there. The
past 3 years SWMBO has not been able to park in there as much as she'd
like during the winter (this is Minnesnowta btw.) I think the phrase
is "I'm sure my subaru can handle any tool or piece of wood in it's
way."

After considering numerous options the only place I can find to go
with my shop is up - as in a 2nd floor above the garage. We don't
have enough room on our city lot to go out and all of the options I've
looked at for renting space aren't really workable.

I'd really appreciate thoughts on this. I think the biggest negative
is getting material up and projects out. I will have a stairway down
into the garage, but that still won't be ideal. One thought is to do
something like a hay mow with barn doors on the driveway end over the
garage door and bring stuff in this way. Maybe with a chain motor
sliding along an I-beam. Problem is it can't stick out all the time
and I don't want it jutting into the shop all the time since it'd take
up overhead room.

Any thoughts on this project, positive or negative, would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Folk...