Charlie Self

Default LVT Reel Mower and Garden Wagon

Scott Cramer responds:
My wife does the push mower, I do the riding mower (but our push
mower has a motor: I did my time with a reel type more than 50 years
ago, and it's not likely to happen again). She KNOWS my knees are too
bad for me to do too much. I hope she keeps on knowing such things.

Grass cutting has become the biggest energy waster in most lives
today, IMHO.

LOML has been using a reel mower on our lawn for about 5 years now.
If the LV mower is as good as our generic reel mower, and I'm sure it is,
she'll have no trouble with it. I sharpen it every two years, and it cuts
as nicely and q u i e t l y as you could ask. The only time we fire up
the power mower is if the lawn has gone too long without a mowing (the reel
mower works best at keeping a neat lawn trimmed). There's something very
satisfying about listening to the whirring and clicking of the lawn being
mowed this way - especially when I'm sitting on the porch with a cold
fermented beverage while she's doing the work.

Yes, well, that's great for a small lawn, but we're going to be cutting
something on the order of 1-3/4 acres when we move back to Virginia mid-June.
Reel mowers don't work too well on that size lawn...actually, I'd guess they'd
work fine, but we do have other things to do during the week.

Charlie Self
"Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
Devil's Dictionary