RichardS

Default Japanese rip saw technique

"Mitch Berkson" wrote in message
news:URmsc.5293$0d6.2276@lakeread03...
Hoyt Weathers wrote:

Have you ever tried turning the board over, mark it, and then cut it?
Or am I missing something?

Presumably sawdust covers the line if it is on top since the saw cuts on

the
pull stroke.

That's not really the problem, though it wouldn't help. Have lungs, can
blow dust away... :-)

The problem it seems to me is that if I'm cutting at an oblique angle then
the saw teeth under the board will be ahead of he ones above the board,
which seems intrinsically more difficult to follow the cut line.

Perhaps I'm worrying about this particular aspect too much and a little more
practice is called for.

I was just hoping that someone might be able to set me straight and say "ah,
yes, the reason you're finding it difficult is because you're trying to use
the saw in a western way, and the technique for Japanese ripsaws is
fundamentally different, and you use it like this...."

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk