Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default mold forms on cords, knobs, and tool handles

On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 18:47:40 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

The white rot is plastic, not mold. So it is written, so it must be.

I scraped some of the white stuff from the plastic handle and put it
under a x100 microscope.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/white-plastic-rot/
Not the best photos but I'll try again after yet another Friday night
customer crisis. The photos show absolutely no structure, self
simularity, or colonies characteristic of mold.
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=mold

The nutdriver is yellow!!

I also heated some of the white stuff on a microscope slide. It
melted like plastic (burning my fingers in the process). The white
stuff also disolved nicely in acetone.

And so I gather will the nut driver handle.

Drivel: Besides the Mercedes fuel pump, todays repairs were a
Bernzomatic trigger start propane torch (cold flow PTFE igniter wire),
an iPhone 4 with a non-functional standby push button (I gave up), yet
another HP LaserJet 4250 printer with sticky relays (replace felt
pad), and helped mount the landlords bicycle rack on his SUV.
Sometimes, I wonder what business I'm in.

Yes, you certainly deal with a wide range of stuff. What business ARE
you in? :-)

-
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

For a while my home phone was broken and my cell phone was lost (in
the house) and I was using Skype to call out.

I didn't sign up for a Skype phone number yet, however. If someone
calls when I'm not there, can the caller leave a message, or at least
his phone number??