Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx amdx is offline

Default Lilfe in the slow (repair) lane.

On 3/1/2013 10:18 AM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 01 Mar 2013 07:18:37 -0600, amdx
wrote:

So she's right, it is your fault, after all these years you're still
forgetting to tell people to turn on the power!
Sorry, I couldn't resist :-)

Go ahead, rub it in. However, I'm not the only one with the problem.
The Logitech iPad keyboard thing I installed last night simply said
"turn it on". There was no clue as to the location of the on off
switch or whether red or green meant on or off. One giant step
backwards.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ultrathin-keyboard-cover?crid=1240

PS. Turning on the power is just so obvious that... well you know.

I suspect that you've never tried to start an automobile with an
"engine start" button. There are a list of pre-requisites that must
be observed before the car will start. Some of these are not so
obvious, such as having the RFID contrivance fairly close to the dash
and not buried in an aluminized mylar RFID-proof purse. Others are
somewhat less obscure, such as having the transmission in Park which
only makes sense if you can find the control. The button says "start"
but it's not starting and no error messages on the dash or out of the
speakers. It should be obvious, but it's not. Call tech support
(OnStar)?

I have a friend that is a physicist, and besides that very bright.
He and his wife had bought a used car, on the second day they attempted
to go out, he couldn't get the shift lever to move from park. Try as he
might it would not work, so he traded places with his wife, she
naturally put her foot on the brake and shifted to reverse.
He told me it took two more attempts before he figured out why she
could do it and he couldn't.