Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Adhesive for Plexiglas to wood

"MaxD" wrote:

What adhesive would be best to fasten Plexiglas (acylic) to
plywood?(Baltic Birch)
I'm thinking epoxy but I'd have to go buy it so...anything else?

Screws.

What's the application, specifically?

I am making a dust "shroud", "blade enclosure", whatever the
appropriate terminology might be to describe a device to collect
dust over a table saw blade.
I'm making the sides out of Birch ply and the top out of 1/4"
acrylic.
Similar to this:
http://tinyurl.com/d8lsjgz

Based on the tinyurl above, there is absolutely nothing to be gained
using 3M-5200.

Avoid acrylic like it was the plague because it will shatter from
almost
any contact by a chip thrown from the saw blade.

Use 1/4" polycarbonate (Lexan) and attach with some #10, pan head,
S/S, coarse thread, self tapping sheet metal screws.

Drill 7/32" clearance holes in the Lexan and 9/64" pilot drill in the
wood.

You need to provide some clearance between Lexan and fastener to
accommodate the difference in thermal expansion.

You can also make use of a 1,500 W heat gun to aid the Lexan
conforming to the shape of the wood.

Shoot a couple of coats of shellac to finish the job.

Have fun.

Lew

coarse thread