Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Iron-on patterns

"Tom Dacon" wrote in news:kgr2p3$tft$1@dont-
email.me:

I read somewhere, quite a long while ago, that you could take something that
you'd printed on a laser printer or an inkjet, place it on a piece of wood,
and transfer the image to the wood by ironing it on with a dry clothes iron.

That is incorrect. This works only with laser-printed images. It will *not* work with an image
printed by inkjet, unless you make a copy of it on a laser photocopier first.

So I tried it both with a laserjet image and an inkjet image. Ironed away,
with no idea of how much heat to use or how long to do it, and absolutely
nothing got transferred to the wood.

I'm guessing that either you didn't use enough heat, or the printer that you thought was a laser
printer, isn't.

Or perhaps you laid it image side up?

Anybody know if that actually works, and if so just how to do it?

Yes, it does work, I've done it before -- and the way it works is you use some type of image-
editing software to make a mirror image of what you want to transfer, and either (a) print it on a
laser printer, or (b) print it on an inkjet printer and then photocopy it with a laser copier. Then lay
it image side down on the surface you want to transfer the image to, and iron the image onto
the surface with an ordinary household iron. Use the highest setting (cotton), and press firmly.

Yes, I know that you can buy iron-on transfer paper, but what I remember, or
think I remember, is that it would work with just plain paper.

Yes, it does.