Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus9672 Ignoramus9672 is offline

Default Strange steel that is very hard to cut with a bandsaw

My small bandsaw with a Starrett blade works extremely well to cut
regular steel. I have been cutting a lot of 4-6 inch rouds without a
problem.

Everything else, that looks funky, I test with a file to see if the
file can easily scratch that steel.

So, today I took a piece of somewhat sniny, magnetic steel, tested it
with a file, and set in the bandsaw.

To my surprise, the bandsaw does cut it, but it works 10 times slower
than for the usual steel. The shavings are also longer in length than
usual. Again, this steel is somewhat shiny and magnetic. Any idea what
it could be, 416 or some such?