Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Kitchen floating floor installation

TomR wrote:
As far as "Water is an enemy" goes for the snap/click type of
flooring, I thought the same thing. But the links that I provided
say the stuff they are selling is waterproof and it can be used in
bathrooms, laundry rooms, basements, etc. I don't know because I
haven't used it or even checked it out yet at a big box store, Lumber
Liquidators, etc. I wonder what it is made of since it doesn't say
it is "vinyl", but it also doesn't say what it is. And, I wonder how
it looks -- because people often say "it looks just like real
hardwood" but my experience is that it usually looks like fake
hardwood to me.
I found those links and started investigating because investors and
landlords in another forum that I belong to have started discussing
this stuff recently. I would have to do more research on my own to
be convinced that, yes it is waterproof, and yes it really does look
like real hardwood flooring.

I am actually thinking about trying one of these -- the snap/click
stuff -- in a 1-bedroom, living room, den apartment that is now down
to the subfloor where I was planning on putting in new hardwood
flooring in all 3 rooms.

After my first laminate flooring job (cheap stuff, $0.49 sq ft) I ran an
experiment. I took some scraps and put them in a glass of water. After a
MONTH of being submerged, I could not find ANY difference within the
precision of my micrometer (0.002 - 0.001 inches).

I'd say, based on the experiment, that (some) laminate is about as
vulnerable to water as a duck.

I also tried scratching the scraps with a nail, a rasp, and whatever was
lying about. No damage.

I also understand that even cheap laminate is coated with the same material
they use on jet fighter windshields. I tell you, they could make body armor
out of the stuff.