Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default TV speaker amplifier

Well, last night, I finished the first draft of the amplifier for my
bathroom tv speaker.

Thanks for the advice earlier

It works well** except for two problems.

A) Allong with the TV sound, it blends in the strongest AM station in
town. The amplifer module I bought just has 5 unshielded wires
coming out of it, and for the input, I used 20 inches of lamp cord
connnected to a 1/8" phone plug, which plugged into the earphone jack
of the tv. I guess the fix most likely to work is to replace the
lamp cord with co-axial shielded cable. Right?

Or I could just wrap some kind of shielding around the wire that is
there. Like heavy duty aluminum foil taped in place. Good idea.
Easier becaue I wouldn't have to hunt for some shielded cable, or
solder a phone little plug to the end. .

B) It's probalby much too loud. I have to turn the tv volume down
from a maximum of 50 to about 15. Then let it get amplifed again by
the amp. I'm figuring the TV output has less distorition, and that
using it at low volume which then gets amped by this thing introduces
distortion. (Though I caouldn't tell because the AM radio was too much
of a distraction.)

The remedy for this seems to be to change wall warts. Right now I'm
using a 12VDC, 500mA adapter, which I chose mostly because it was the
first I saw in my box that had the end, the tip, cut off already.
The spec says it can use 4.5 to 12VDC

**I'm using a Kemo M031N monaural amplifier module that sells for
about 8 dollars at MCM Electrronics. Rated at 3.5 watts. I'm glad I
didnt' get the 8? wattt version that was about 13 dollars.

It's "box" is open on one side but filled with some sort of hard
filling. It has 5 unshielded wires coming out of one side. Two for
the input. And two for the speaker plus two for the power, which
share one negative wire. Which makes 5 total.

I paid no attention to polarity, since it's a monaural output, but
when I put in a shielded input, I could make sure that the shield is
conected to what the instructions say is the ground, if it matters???

Unlike their drawing, I don't have the pot wired into the input,
because the TV is 9 feet away from the bathtub. Rather it's in the
wires that go to the speakers, from a 1930's record player, mounted
above the tub (for the last 30 years.) .

Thanks.