Posted to rec.woodworking
MaxD MaxD is offline

Default Adhesive for Plexiglas to wood

On 3/1/2013 6:28 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
MaxD wrote in news:5130102b$0$64368$c3e8da3
:

On 2/27/2013 7:48 PM, Doug Miller wrote:
MaxD wrote in news:512ea628$0$59602$c3e8da3
:

What adhesive would be best to fasten Plexiglas (acylic) to
plywood?(Baltic Birch)
I'm thinking epoxy but I'd have to go buy it so...anything else?

Screws.

What's the application, specifically?

I am making a dust "shroud", "blade enclosure", whatever the appropriate
terminology might be to describe a device to collect dust over a table
saw blade.
I'm making the sides out of Birch ply and the top out of 1/4" acrylic.

NO!!

Don't use acrylic for this application, it's not impact-resistant. Use polycarbonate instead.

And why make the sides out of wood? Why not make the whole thing out of polycarbonate?

Since this project is a "prototype" I will very likely build a Lexan
model. I'm primarily interested in determining how well the device
collects dust from the table top and establishing a method of mounting
the rest of the "system". I will have photos when I try it out.