Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 13:43:22 -0800 (PST), jon_banquer
wrote:

On Feb 28, 1:31*pm, dsi1 wrote:
On 2/28/2013 11:18 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 10:49:14 -1000, dsi1
wrote:

On 2/28/2013 10:31 AM, jon_banquer wrote:

Your guess would be wrong. 3D printing is the most over-hyped
technology I know of.

My guess is that your guess would be wrong. 3D printing is going to
change our relationship to manufactured objects. All of a sudden we'll
be able to create things ourselves. We won't have to hire guys with
hammers, saws, and chisels. So there! :-)

Don't sell your hammers yet. Jon's right. The general press coverage
of this stuff is over the top.

The press coverages is over the top. We should expect that with amazing,
new, technology.

Fabricating custom hearing aid shells, which house the electronics of
the aids, and are made to fit an individual's ear, are a perfect
utilization of this technology. It's been used in the industry for about
10 years. OTOH, I know of one manufacturer that creates the shell by
hand, the old-fashioned way, and the product is great but it's a
time-consuming, messy, process.

There will still be a few guys that beat panels by hand and they'll be
admired for their skill and we'll find it hard to believe that at one
time, that is how everybody used to do it. It's always good to remember
these old things and old ways.

It is truly amazing technology, and no doubt we haven't seen nuthin'
yet. But there's nothing on the visible horizon that could live up to
the things that the press is talking about.

"There will still be a few guys that beat panels by hand and they'll
be admired for their skill and we'll find it hard to believe that at
one time, that is how everybody used to do it. It's always good to
remember these old things and old ways."

What it appears you really want to not pay your dues and learn a skill
like sheet metal forming or machining. Instead, you hope that 3D
printing will eliminate the skill set, the knowledge and the
experience required to do many jobs right.

I'm sorry to bust your bubble but this isn't going to happen.

I suppose there is still a market for blacksmiths, too.