Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 15:40:53 -1000, dsi1
wrote:

On 2/28/2013 1:51 PM, Ed Huntress wrote:

No, that wasn't what I meant. It's sort of an inside joke here, and,
unless you really want to know, I'll avoid bothering you with it.

If it looks like it's machined from solid aluminum, and if it doesn't
look like one or more sides of it are not machined, but cast, then it
probably is machined from solid aluminum.

It's the "billet" word that's the joke. Don't worry about it.

I guess "billet" is a funny word. OK we'll leave it a private joke.

It has a specific meaning, and misuse of it has caused a couple of
flame wars here.

We're funny about manufacturing jargon. But we only flame other
manufacturing people about our jargon. So don't worry. d8-)

That's the way you'd expect it to be made - that or stamped sheet metal.
The trouble is that it doesn't appear to be made that way. I'd be
interested in any info you have on this.

Well, do you have a photo of it?

You could Google it. I don't have any photos of it but I do have the
product in hand. It's the first series iPad. I thought you might have an
some expert info on this.

I couldn't find anything much, and I haven't taken a close look at
iPad's. I'll have to look next time I see one. Chances are I won't be
able to tell how it was made from just looking, but I'll look.

--
Ed Huntress