Howard

Default 2nd floor woodshop - Opinions, thoughts ?

I have had a 14 by 22 loft above my garage for four years. Entry is
from the garage to the laundry room then up the steps. I've moved all
my tools and recently my new Jet Supersaw up the steps. (I use a
handtruck with stair climbing treads) I've learned to rough cut all
panels before taking them upstairs. Lately I've had the lumberyard
rough cut them into 2 by 8 or 4 by 4 panels and they fit better into
my Jeep also.

Yes it takes a bit more to move stock up into the shop, but the cars
are much warmer in the winter. I have acces through a window but have
never considered using it for stock.

I've built large furniture and with planning haven't had any problems
on one occasion I made sure my two sons or my BIL were available for
some heavy lifting.

I've also found that the stairwell is great for storage of long tirm
pices about 16 feet long. Finally here's a secret - my shop opens
into my attic. With the right planning, a strategicly placed door
and some calculations (I'm an engineer) I reinforced the attic added a
floor and use it for wood storage.

Howard

Folklore wrote in message
After considering numerous options the only place I can find to go
with my shop is up - as in a 2nd floor above the garage. We don't
have enough room on our city lot to go out and all of the options I've
looked at for renting space aren't really workable.

I'd really appreciate thoughts on this. I think the biggest negative
is getting material up and projects out.

Any thoughts on this project, positive or negative, would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Folk...