Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Charge gel cell with car charger?

"John Fields" wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 21:28:02 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
On 2/28/2013 9:23 AM, Ian Field wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
On 2/27/2013 12:09 PM, John Fields wrote:
On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:17:04 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"John wrote in message

My request was about having you describe the dynamics of a
light-bulb-in-series-with-a-battery current limiter which, no
matter
how loudly or how long you squeal excuses about why you can't, you
can't, of course.

The bulb trick isn't that great because of its pronounced PTC
characteristic - as the filament voltage decreases the current
doesn't
decrease in due proportion.

---
???

If a you want the current to change linearly with voltage, then a
simple resistor will do the trick so, obviously, you don't understand
how the bulb trick works.
---

I did try to dumb it down for you - I do hope I didn't use too many
big
words for you!

---
The words are no problem but it seems, for you, the theory _is_.

Would you like me to explain how the bulb trick works in terms even
you could understand?

I understand how the light bulb works, but I'm very interested in
hearing YOUR explanation.

When the battery terminal voltage is low and the drop across the
filament is high; the bulb does its best job of current limiting - just
when high charging current would be no bad thing. As the battery
terminal voltage approaches or exceeds the required voltage, the
inherent PTC characteristic of the filament means as it cools its
resistance falls, its much less effective as a current limiter - just
when the (possibly overcharging) battery needs it most.

The bulb as a current limiter is less than ideal for battery charging -
but better than nothing if you don't have a float capable charger to
hand.

I didn't bother to dumb it down for JF - you can draw pictures for him
as a homework excercise.

So, you're saying that a light bulb can work very well for current
charging
as long as you pick the voltage and the bulb correctly.

No - I didn't make any specific comments about bulb rating at all.

Also, a light bulb can work well to limit the maximum charge current
to stay within the limits of the battery and charger, even in the event
of shorted cells or other faults...as long as you pick the voltage
and bulb correctly.

If you'd bothered at all to read what I said - I made it clear that the
current curve vs filament temperature is pretty much the opposite of what
would be ideal for charging the battery.

In the context of the thread so far, typically an unregulated car type
charger would be used on a low Ah gel battery - the charger wouldn't need
any protection, but as the battery terminal voltage reaches and/or exceeds
the full level, the filament voltage is at a minimum, cold filament = low
resistance - so not much protection for the battery.

I merely conceded that in the absence of a float capable charger, its
better
than nothing.

You can do better. You can abuse any charge method.
IMHO, the bang for the buck of a light bulb current limiter is
second to none when properly applied.

On reflection - you're probably not the best choice to draw pictures so JF
can understand.

---
Open mouth, insert foot.

I call it as I see it - which any way you look at it, is better than the
senseless twaddle you spout.