Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default The Ante of Design..... and whoyakidding's delusions....

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 07:07:41 -0800, whoyakidding's ghost
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:54:10 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 15:44:09 -0500, "Existential Angst"
wrote:

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
news:N4CdnY3o7JBs9bPMnZ2dnUVZ_qGdnZ2d@giganews. com...
Existential Angst wrote:

Exactly WHY was the 1974 54 hp beetle good enough then -- and good
enough
for 1/2 the driving world -- but it's **** now?
Can you imagine the mpg of that car, with a decent motor in it? I'm sure
we'd be talking 70 mpg with a pure ICE, and much higher with any
hybridization.
There was a guy a few years ago selling his Honda Insight (hybrid)
on eBay, and he had a picture of the dashboard display, I think it was 86
MPG averaged over the 130,000 miles on the car. This was a stock
production vehicle, although it was obvious he actually knew how to drive
it
for good economy.

Wow.... If it's true.
I was under the impression Honder wadn't doing too well with their
hybrids..... which doesn't mean it wadn't a good car. 86 mpg is right on
the heels of this 100 "MPGe" claimed by all-electrics.

As I mentioned, Prius c devotees are claiming 68 mpg with a light foot.

Here's what you're looking for:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_1-litre_car

It's a VW, it burns dead-dino fuel, and it gets around 240 mpg.

Yabbut does it have a gasoline fueled unheater and is your face
plastered against the windshield when you're driving it? When you rev
it up, does it make a sound that causes grown men to giggle? And above
all, how long a line of traffic can it lead up a hill?

Hey, at 240 mpg, you can't have everything. g

The accounts I've read about driving the 1-liter say that the most
surprising thing about it is how normal and car-like it is.

I like the fore-and-aft seating. My camp counselor, about 1955, had a
Messerschmitt KR175 with the same configuration, and I used to love
riding in it. I wanted a button for the .50-cal, though...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_KR175

--
Ed Huntress