Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert[_18_] Robert[_18_] is offline

Default Home insurance rates increasing

On Feb 27, 9:55 pm, "AngryOldWhiteGuy"
wrote:
I'm in North Texas, near Dallas - I ended a long time business relationship
with State Farm insurance about a year ago to buy a homeowners policy from a
family member that was starting out with another one of the major insurance
companies here - that business didn't work out for him, so now I'm going
back to State Farm, and finding that their rates have increased almost 50%
from what they were when I had the previous State Farm homeowners policy
before I left ( a year or so ago).

The house's value is about $140,000 - the dollar value they came up with to
rebuild my home has increased from what it was with the former policy by
about 10%, so I'm questioning the agent about the 50% rise in the premium -
we're gonna talk tomorrow.

No major upgrades or improvements with the house - all things with the house
and the local area are pretty much the same as when I had the previous
policy with State Farm - no natural disasters, no roof replacement, no
flooding issues anywhere near me of any kind, no real changes in crime or
zoning or anything like that - I have excellent credit, and my remaining
mortgage is about 1\3 the value of the house - there's nothing at all that I
can figure that'd cause such a jump - and I am pretty sure that the policy
coverage specifics are pretty much the same.

Any thoughts why the big jump in my premium? Thanks!

There may be a reduction in your premium based on the
length of time you have been with them, and other items
such as autos that you have insured with them. When
you cancelled and came back, perhaps those discounts
did not apply any more.
It would be useful to compare , line by line, with your
old policy to see which items actually increased. I am with
State Farm also, and am familiar somewhat with their
way of writing a policy. I am about 100 miles south of
Dallas, and my policy went up about $100, but I've been
solidly with them for 30 years.