Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair

Default mold forms on cords, knobs, and tool handles

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:37:00 +0000 (UTC), Bill Rotham
wrote:

The other is on my pool pump - which - you can imagine - isn't
mold but a white chemical covering (calcium carbonate?).

So, the first question, is whether it's a mold or a chemical?
Note: I don't know the answer for either of my tools above.

Well, you can easily eliminate calcium carbonate (lime) as a
possibility. Take some dilute hydrochloric acid (Muriatic Acid or
pool chlorine), and smear it on the plastic rot. If it fizzes and
belches gases, it's calcium carbonate. If it doesn't fizz, it's
something else:
CaCO3 + 2HCl - CaCl2 +CO2 + H2O

--
Jeff Liebermann