Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete S Pete S is offline

Default Job estimate --- for tapered shim

There are a number of different tapered shims used in front end alignment
and spring/axle alignment.
Here is one example:
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits...=101&t_pt=5502

The ones in the link above seem to have steps on them, but I have seen some
that don't.

As others have said, a lot depends on the material and the accuracy
required. It wouldn't take a blacksmith very long to forge them out of
anything from mild steel to high carbon tool steel, etc.. Another thought:
what about heat treatment?

Pete Stanaitis
----------------

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Steve W." wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
I need say, 6 pieces. A wedge shape, like a wood carpenter's shim.
About six or eight inches long, 1.5" wide, and 1/4" thick. It would
start out 1/4" and taper to zero on the other end. It would have to be
pretty close in tolerances.

What would a guy pay to get something like that built if they knew a
metal guy?

Steel, Titanium, Aluminum?
Hardened, Annealed?
How "pretty close" are you talking? One side? All sides?
Surface finish? One side? All sides?

--
Steve W.

Steel. And just as accurate as one of the wood wedges. Buffed smooth of
burrs, but nothing special on finishing. Just a gradual taper from 1/4"
to nothing on the wide side.

Steve