Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Furniture restoration question

wrote:

Now this is the trick, one I discovered by accident. The applied dyes
look like dust as I have thinned them so much that they were almost
powder by the time they hit the wood veneer. However, the very wet
coat (hurray for horizontal surfaces!) of conversion lacquer I put on
top of the "powder" immediately took on the color of the dye and
melted into the lacquer. All of it adhered very well to the wood.
Two more wet coats and I was done. Great depth of finish and the wood
looked much better than the factory finish. By doing it this way, the
whole table top blended into itself.

Yup - that's the way it works! I'm a fan of large blend areas, but that's
because most of what I'm shooting will really show up mis-matches badly, so
fooling the eye is very critical to success. You did well by blending out
as far as you did. As for the wet coats - as God intended spray guns to be
used!

No hill for a climber, eh? ;^)

On reflection, if I was in Steve's shoes, I would prep the
surfaces, spray dye, then spray finish.

Me too.

--

-Mike-