Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kitchen floating floor installation

On Wednesday 27 February 2013 17:11 finiteguy wrote in alt.home.repair:

Thanks for your help here. I have found that my kitchen floor is wavey in
some areas. Not sure if that will be a problem.

If you mean "it's not flat" then you will have problems unless you address
them.

A variation of 1mm over a distance of 1m in either direction is about the
most typical products will handle. Again, the manufacturer will (or should)
specify this.

Any more and it will bounce and the joints creak - leading to joint damage.

A small local dip can be packed out with one or more layers of dense card -
I buy some 1 and 2mm stuff from the art shop in large sheets for this type
of job - there's always a dip somewhere...

Bumps are a little harder to deal with - usually involves making a card ring
to even it out a bit. Thick underlay (5mm) helps but does not solve all
problems.