Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default Follow-up on metal in the eye

On 2/26/2013 3:15 PM, micky wrote:
Follow-up on metal in the eye

Well, I had my x-ray yesterday and it showed no metal in the eye.

This second chain of xray, MRI, and other imaging labs had a sign-up
form that was longer than the other chain's (in addtion to the fact
that verbally they wouldn't brush off hobbyists' exposure and say it
only applied to those who worked with metal full time) .

They had a list, a longer list, of about 30 things they wanted to know
if you had, not just metal pins in bones that had been broken, and
metal staples, but if you had had one of those camera pills that you
swallow. Do those have lettle metal external antennae or lights
that can be knocked off?

And someone said it was a myth that tattoos could be a problem, but it
and permanent makeup was a question on the list. By permanent
makeup, I think they mean tattooing "eye liner" on one's eyelid. So
both halves of that question refer to tattoos.

Not every yes answer meant you couldn't have the MRI, although I think
metal in the eye did mean that, unlsss one had the metal removed.
(Although one of the questions at both chains was whether you had had
metal removed from your eye. They didn't assume that the removal got
all of it.

The x=ray tech said she HAD had people with metal in their eyes who
didn't remember getting it. That was in answer to my question about
whether it always hurt. Apparently it doesn't always hurt, maybe if
it's small.

I passed the X-ray but only lasted 5 minutes in the closed MRI. Even
though I had gotten up at 2 in the morning and was verrry sleepy, I
had on a blindfold, the tunnel on this one was larger than the other
(and I had two inches between my nose and the ceiling instead of
one**) and they had given me a valium This place used foam rubber
earplugs instead of headphones. He said I could hear him better when
he talked. Without radio as a distraction, I tried distracting
myself by counitng to 100, but I was able to mulitply while I was
counting and to use up a half hour it seemed I would have to count to
1800, and since I was counting fast, probably 3600.

...snip..

as a kid, i had metal shavings in my eyes (looking up whilst my dad was
cutting some pipes in the cellar ceiling), so had to do the xray first.
i had a head/neck mri done, and it took a LONG time, but i generally
just fall asleep in mri's without taking any pills as i'm not
claustrophobic at all.