Posted to rec.woodworking

Default First aid wake-up call

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 09:01:17 -0500, willshak
wrote:

woodchucker wrote the following on 2/24/2013 5:54 PM (ET):
On 2/24/2013 2:46 PM, Doug Winterburn wrote:
On 02/24/2013 11:25 AM, Zz Yzx wrote:
I keep a first aid kit handy in the shop. It's a plastic case with 10
or so boxes inside. The boxes hold the usual stuff: gauze, triangular
bandage, bandage compress, tape. &tc. Each box ix securely wrapped in
sturdy plastic.

This morning my daughter put a nasty cut on her finger. It wasn't
deep but it was bleeding profusely.

I pulled out the box with the bandage compress and went to open it.
The damn plastic cover on the box was so sturdy that I couldn't tear
it open or split it at the seams wit my hands. I used a razor knife.

If I had a shop accident in which I cut my hand or fingers, I don't
think I wouldv'e been able to open the damn box. The thought of
bleeding out with an unopened compress in my hand kinna' spooks me.

-Zz

Put the cut finger in fresh coffee grounds. It stops the bleeding.

Really? No ****?

Yabbut, it _ruins_ the next pot of coffee.

Stiptic pencil too.

Yes, a styptic pencil works well. I keep one around, and keep an old
container of powered potassium alum, too. I've barely dented the
contents in over 40 years of use.

Also Cayenne pepper.

Oh, it's good to hear ideas from the masochist's side.

--
When a quiet man is moved to passion, it seems the very earth will shake.
-- Stephanie Barron