Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Blind kitchen corner storage???

Han wrote:

We have a top corner cabinet that was installed when we redid the
kitchen some 12 years ago. It is a doubly-hinged door, and it has
held up very well. The only caveat is that people have to be
instructed to close it in sequence - first the part that hinges
against the cabinet itself, then the part that hinges to that, so you
don't scrape the adjacent cabinet (left in the pictures that I will
put up on abpw, and that are already up on G+ - how the hell to share
here?).

The cabinets in my church's kitchen employ one of these for a corner - under
the counter. These are not the best cabinets that money can buy, but they
are not low end stuff either. Sorta mid-line stuff. One of the problems I
see repeatedly, is that people just don't take the time to pay attention,
and are accustomed to just swinging a cabinet door closed when they are
done. This does not work with a double hinge system, and usually results in
stress on the door. If they don't hit the adjacent cabinet as you suggest
(not sure if I've seen that happen at the church), you certainly get into
the situation of the door binding if opened or closed in an improper
sequence. If people are keenly aware, and actually care enough to take the
time to open and close properly, then it's no problem. But...

--

-Mike-