Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Furniture restoration question

wrote:

I have several books and have learned something from all of them.
None are the magic bible I wanted as there are too many variables to
count. Good thoughts from Sonny and Larry, no doubt.

OTOH, I have indeed mixed up my own stain brews to color scratches and
gouges. You can still see them, but they aren't as offensive as they
were.

One thing I would suggest would be to think about what you are going
to use as a topcoat. If it is a finish from a factory it is almost
without doubt some kind of lacquer. I I would try to find the correct
color I wanted, mix it with some lacquer and brush it onto the
offending areas. (Test in a chair leg you can keep out of sight!)

If I were going to top coat that, I would use a deglosser of some type
after sanding and coloring to help ensure a good bond to the
substrate.

Good thoughts from Robert, as usual. I would only add that it is impossible
in practical terms, to ever achieve an exact match. There are just too many
variables. Difficulties include the ability to precisely mix the colors to
the exact match of the original, shading variations that are due to the
absorbsion of the stain by the repair section, etc. You can get very, very
close, but as Robert says they will show without a great deal of
examination. Better than untreated, but visible all the same.

To minimize the show even further, consider blending the stain into the
surrounding finish. This is best accomplished with a spray gun, but could
be done with a brush and judicious light sanding afterwards. Get the
damaged area fully stained, and extend the stain out into the surrounding
areas - how far depends on how close your color match is. Try something
like 2 to 3 times the size of the repair area. So - if your repair area is
2" wide, entend your stain out something like 4-6" into the factory finish,
allowing it to be lighter as you extend. If you are spraying, you can lift
your gun as you blend, or turn your wrist once you get past the repair area
which will result in a less direct spray, and a lighter coat, or applying
lighter coats dusted on as you move outward from the repair area. Remember
that you have to do this in every direction. Think in terms of a circle
rather than straight lines. Everything gets progressively lighter as you
move from the center of the repair area in any direction.

When you blend you are simply fooling the eye. You're giving it progressive
shades to see, rather than distinct edges of colors. The eye gets pretty
lazy and will accept a great number of lies - if you don't believe that,
look at that woman you met in the bar last night in the full light of day...

--

-Mike-