Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Furniture restoration question

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 17:08:14 -0700, Steve B wrote:

How easy is it to get the stains to match? Should I go to the Borg, and
get about four different shades, and then mix them in small quantities?

You'd have a lot better luck matching the color with dye than with
stain. Go to Woodcraft or somewhere similar and get something like:

http://www.woodcraft.com/search2/search.aspx?
query=dye&BrandForDisplay=TransTint

Either the powder or the liquid works, I like the liquid better because I
can mix it with shellac.

Mix it very weak and try it on a scrap of the same kind of wood or on a
hidden part. Add a drop or two at a time to reach a match.

carrying a cross.