Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

On Feb 26, 3:14*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 05:21:42 -0600, Vic Smith

wrote:
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 01:27:27 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

I have an I-miev. The cab can be pre-heated (or pre-cooled) whilst on
charge. *Use of heating/cooling whilst in motion significantly reduces
range

The batteries are cooled whilst on charge because (with the Leaf)
there were issues of rapid battery deterioration in hot climates.
(Like losing 80% of range in a year)

I've read posts about the pre-heating and pre-cooling options on the
Volt forum. *The Volt computer controls are real geek stuff.
The "pre" stuff really seems to have limited value to me.
Seems akin to "overclocking" chipsets. *But geeks are geeks.
I've got my own geek habits.
GM hit a sweet spot with Volt all-electric range. *More than the
average U.S. commuter.
Keeping an ICE was brilliant. *No "range anxiety."
We'll see how the package holds up and where the price goes.
And where gas prices go.
Except as a commuter car or grocery-getter, pure electric won't work
well here without a battery swap-out infrastructure. *Too many trips
exceeding battery range.

There is some promise with a new super capacitor that will charge in
minutes

Seconds. The problem is finding enough thousand amp power sources.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_capacitor
They are using them is China right now. City buses are charged up at
every bus stop.