Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Toilet leaking through porcelain seals

Coleman wrote:
About four months ago I installed a new toilet with a super
reinforced wax ring. Yesterday, I noticed it was leaking from
underneath through the grout around the base. I pulled up the
toilet, put on a new wax ring and set it back down. After bolting it
down, I decided to let the toilet run to see what would happen.
Thirty minutes, nothing, 45 minutes, nothing, an hour.. bingo - more
water was leaking from the =front= of the toilet.

I pulled up the toilet and after flipping it on its side, I noticed
that it was very wet up inside under the front of the bowl where the
water gets pushed through from the tank. There are a few areas in
there where Kholer brushed on some glazing, I guess to reinforce or
seal up some holes, but it must be leaking from those areas. I can't
find any other reason why the toilet would be wet up inside of that
cavity.

Has anyone else come across this? Now I need to buy another toilet
tomorrow and call Kholer. Not sure what they'll do about this, but
I'm curious if anyone here has ever heard of something like this.

There are only two places where it could leak...

1. at the connection of tank to bowl
2. at the waste exit

If it is leaking anywhere else then it is cracked. If it is cracked - and
you didn't crack it - then it is defective and there should be no problem in
returning it.

If there is a crack, I would think it would be visible with close
inspection. About the only places where you could have cracked it would be
the hold down bolts for the tank and bowl; cracks there wouldn't cause a
leak.

Regarding the area "up inside under the front of the bowl where the water
gets pushed through from the tank", could the wet be from condensation? I
rather doubt it so I'd be examining that area carefully. Glaze or the lack
of it wouldn't cause a leak.

--

dadiOH