Pindial Pindial is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Composter View Post
I wanted to thank you both. I used this post to help me troubleshoot a problem I had with the Brother CS-80. I recently got the machine dirt cheap from someone on Craigslist who couldn't get it to work. It was only 2 years old. I took on the challenge.

The bobbin winder did not wind. My Google search turned up your post. I opened up my machine and found the same melted rubber bobbin winder tire inside. Mystery solved. I'm wondering if the heat from the motor is causing these things to melt.

Here are pix of my bobbin winder showing the melt tire, which, yes was a gooey, sticky mess to clean off of the cylinder.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...psdce02dbe.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...psd5d56388.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps1c6a8a27.jpg

I went to Lowe's with the winder wrapped in a napkin and found a rubber gasket and a #31 O ring that fit. I paid $1.04.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h1...ps229a1976.jpg

When I got home, I put the gasket on and it worked. The point is that it makes contact with the wheel so the winder turns.

Now, when I put the machine back together, I had 4 screws left over. I couldn't remember where I had gotten them from. But lo and behold, I must not have needed them because the machine now works fine without those screws.

I'm kind of holding my breath with this CS-80 because I've read several reviews that state it is prone to problems and was poorly designed. Anyway, I hope this helps others who are having bobbin winding problems with this unit. I suspect I will have to go in again to swap out the tire because the motor heat may be causing it to melt.

Hi. I have a sinmilar problem with my machine. I just cannot get it to open/ unscrew. There is one screw that I just cannot figure out where! I cannot get the front and the back casing of the machine to separate from the end where the bobbin winder is. Any suggestions? Thank you!