Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
whoyakidding's ghost wrote:

I think if doing it again, I'd go with maybe 8 deep cycle
batteries, an armature controller, and maybe skip the hybrid thing.

Jon

Today you can buy a 3-phase AC motor with feedback and an efficient
PWM controller. Throttle control is very smooth with them.
http://www.electriccarinternational....Engines-AC.php

YIKES! 490 Lbs, and $7900 with controller! That's a bit over my
budget. I paid about $700 for everything in my contraption, and
the jet engine starter motor is less than 90 Lbs.

I was thinking that a spindle motor out of a larger machine tool,
like Fanuc or something, might make a decent traction motor.
Two of them, one for each front wheel, then you could skip the
differential, and have a bit of backup if a VFD failed.
AC induction motors are insanely heavy in the 25+ Hp range, but
some of the PM brushless spindle motors might be around 100 Lbs
each. You'd need a gearbox to couple to the wheel speed, though.

Jon